ANKARA, October 31. /TASS/. Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was strangled when he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, and then his body was dismembered and disposed, the Turkish city’s prosecutor-general’s office said on Wednesday.
“Khashoggi fell the victim of a planned murder, he was strangled immediately after entering the consulate in Saudi Arabia. After the killing his body was dismembered and disposed,” the statement said.
According to the Turkish side, the talks between the prosecutors of Turkey and Saudi Arabia on investigating Khashoggi’s murder “produced no results.”
Riyadh has invited the Turkish delegation led by Istanbul’s Prosecutor-General Irfan Fidan to visit the Kingdom as part of the murder investigation.
Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, known for his criticism of Saudi Arabia’s current policy, left his home country and moved to the United States in 2017. The journalist wrote articles for The Washington Post, analyzing the situation in Saudi Arabia and the country’s foreign policy, and criticizing Riyadh.
The journalist arrived in the consulate general of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul on October 2 to complete paperwork to marry a Turkish citizen and has not been in contact since then.
On October 20, Saudi Arabia’s authorities announced that the journalist died after a conflict in the consulate general. Saudi Arabia’s Public Prosecutor Saud Al-Moajab declared that 18 Saudi nationals had been under investigation, without revealing their names.
The world community has condemned the crime, calling on Riyadh to carry out a transparent investigation, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described Khashoggi’s murder as a thoroughly planned crime.
Article Sourced via TASS