ASTANA, November 28. /TASS/. Moscow is ready to participate in the fight against the Jabhat al-Nusra terror group (outlawed in Russia) in Syria, Presidential Envoy for Syria Alexander Lavrentyev said at a press conference on Wednesday, adding that Moscow was still hopeful that the Syrian opposition would manage to accomplish the task itself.
According to Lavrentyev, over 15,000 Jabhat al-Nusra militants remain in the Idlib area. “We very much hope that the moderate opposition’s armed units will manage to resolve the situation in this troubled area and establish order themselves. If needed, we are ready to provide all possible help, including the assistance of the Syrian government forces,” the Russian presidential envoy added.
He went on to say that the situation on the ground, particularly in the Idlib area, had been discussed at the Wednesday consultations. “We note a general improvement in the situation in areas controlled by the Syrian government. The situation is getting better in various regions, including southern Syria, the Syrian-Iraqi border and other areas,” the envoy said.
Lavrentyev stressed that areas where some units of the Islamic State terror group (outlawed in Russia) were still active, were being gradually liberated. “Everyone acknowledged today that the fight against them – these gangs and Jabhat al-Nusra – will continue until they are eliminated,” he said.
In other media
Article Sourced via TASS